Monday, November 23, 2009

The Lost Dog Cafe


I long refrained from writing this review because I work at the lost dog and I may be slightly biased. But in all honesty, I deemed it my favorite restaurant in Binghamton over 3 years ago long before I started working there. Since beginning my employment at the dog love and appreciation for the restaurant has only grown. I have made some wonderful friends who have become like family to me and have eaten some amazing meals at the dog. The restaurant has definitely helped inspire my career path, which I am truly thankful for. I am sure most of you don’t care much about that mushy stuff though…. So let’s try and look at the dog from an objective lens…

The atmosphere at the lost dog is second to none in greater Binghamton. It has a charm that mixes funky colors with local art and beautiful architecture. The building itself is a historic building that was once a cigar manufacturing facility. The windows are huge and the exposed brick and raw beams that run through the space are reminiscent of a converted loft. One reason the lost dog is such a great restaurant is its comfortable atmosphere. It’s a place where students and professionals can mix and be comfortable together. People of all ages and demographics come to the lost dog making it one of the most diverse places in Binghamton. Which I think is quite beautiful and inspiring.

Both lunch and dinner offer a variety of very attractive food selections as well as attractive employees… **wink**wink** But in all honest they the food and service is fantastic. My personal favorite lunch item is the voodoo tuna sandwich. It is blackened with some cajun spices and seared on a cast iron skillet. It is served on a kaiser roll with a great honey hot sauce: delicious! Not to boast, but it is important to note that the Lost Dog was voted the number one restaurant to eat lunch at in the southern tier by the press and sun bulletin (2009).

My personal favorite appetizer is the asparagus cakes which are fried and made with two wonderful sauces that paint the plate artistically. The first sauce is a roasted red pepper coulis while the other is a garlic and herb sauce, both marry together nicely with the asparagus cake. The rigatoni ala vodka and Greek chicken are by far our most popular dishes and are outstanding. Personally, I like the Amore which is a penne pasta dish made in an asiago cream sauce, it is rich and savory... To be frank, I like almost everything on the menu. In addition to the quality food, the prices are extremely reasonable. All lunch items are below $10 and all of the sandwiches come with a side of your choice. Most dinner entrees hover around $15 which is comparable to the terrible chain restaurants like TGI McFunsters on vestal parkway. The dog also has some of the best coffee and desserts in the area. The house brew is a nice strong French roast but they also have flavored coffees and lattes if you’re into that sort of thing. My favorite dessert is probably the Geisha, which is a cheesecake that is deep-fried and served with 3 different dipping sauces: caramel, chocolate and raspberry… It is phenomenal, you must try it! If you haven’t been to the lost dog you should definitely check it out. It is by far the best restaurant in Binghamton.

Atmosphere: 5 out of 5 stars
Service: 5 out of 5 stars
Food: 5 out of 5 stars
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
Price Range: $10-$20

Website: The Lost Dog Café

Binghamton, New York
The Lost Dog Café
222 Water Street
Binghamton, New York 13901
Tel (607) 771-6063

Monday - Saturday
11:30am - 10:00pm

Closed Sundays

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about The Lost Dog Cafe! It is hands-down my favorite restaurant, here in Binghamton or anywhere else I've been. The food is fresh and homemade and delicious, I love the funky, artsy atmosphere, the staff is awesome - and attractive **wink**wink** :D - and the coffee is outstanding. They can accommodate vegan gluten-free diets such as mine, and are very willing to work with various food needs. I just can't say enough about the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food has been really great every time I go (I adore-ay the Amore). As has been the live music. I think it's better than some Brooklyn restaurants/music places that I frequently.

    There is one particularly attractive waiter. And I can't believe I haven't tried this cheesecake monstrosity! Sounds amazing. I now have an end of the semester celebration in mind (if any of my classmates would like to join).

    ReplyDelete


Go to top.

Home          Restaurants List          Requests