Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Crepe Heaven or Crepe Purgatory?

Crepe Heaven is another business that has opened up in recent history, but it is yet to show its lasting capabilities. I have eaten there at least 5 times since its opening and have noticed a number of interesting things since Crepe Heavens beginning. The ambiance of the café is decent. It tries to position itself as a sleek modern café but falls slightly short. The interior is very clean and neat but the tables and chairs seem to float awkwardly in the dinning space. Additionally, the artwork on the walls looks like they were purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond. In short, Crepe Heaven desperately needs an interior decorator who can kick up their Fung-Sway (Feng-Shui) to the next level.



The service has always been very awkward and slow at this place. Most of the time, young (high-school looking) kids waited on me who had little to no training. Although, it appears that many of these employees have since left because the last time I was there it seemed to be run strictly by the family. Crepe Heaven is the kind of place where you are not sure if you pay the waitress or the cash register (though, they prefer you pay the register)… For me it just has an awkward feeling. But the owner does give the place some charm, he is always there smiling with his thick beard and jolly physic. He is very polite and always has something nice to say.

The food to price ratio has varied slightly since their beginning. At first opening, I thought their prices were a bit too cheap, (believe it or not) I couldn’t figure out how they were making money. But I think they have figured out a fair pricing policy. All of their coffee drinks are very good and they offer Turkish coffee which is a treat. As for the crepes… I think they vary in quality and creativity. Most of the sweet crepes are pretty good, especially the fruit and eurocrem crepes but the savory crepes fall flat, there is just not much too them. Perhaps along with an interior decorator they should hire a creativity chef. Personally, I would like to see something more along the lines of a goat cheese and pesto crepe or brie and berry crepe. Pizza crepe just doesn’t sound appetizing to me…



Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars
Website: Crepe Heaven

217-219 Main Street
Binghamton
New York
13905
607-217-7188

HOURS OF OPERATION:
mon - closed
tue-thu 9am - 8pm
friday 9am - 9pm
saturday 9am - 9pm
sunday 9am - 5 pm

2 comments:

  1. I like this place, but I agree the interior could use a little redo and at times the service is slow by American standards. However, I've found if you are in a bit of a hurry (say during lunch), if you let them know they will be a little faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this place quite a bit. For the record, the pizza crepes are awesome! I love the fresh ingredients they use. My son and I love to get the pizza crepe with mushrooms and spinach. Yum!

    ReplyDelete


Go to top.

Home          Restaurants List          Requests