Thursday, November 5, 2009

About Me

My love for food actually stems from my love for restaurants... I guess you could say it was one of those chicken and egg situations. My first exposure to the food industry was in high school. Like most 16 year olds I was flat broke and tired of going to the coin star to redeem my change just so i could buy my bacon egg and cheese sandwich from the food truck across the street from high school. So I started looking for a job. Fortunately, I stumbled across one relatively quickly. One of my old high school buddies got a job in a catering company in mid town Manhattan from one of his Russian mafia type acquaintances. He said that I would pretty much get a job if I walked in the office told "George Rizzo" that I was "Dan's" friend/schoolmate. So I stumbled over to 43rd and Lex one day after school went up to the 5th floor of one of those stark business buildings which have doorman desks but no doormen to be found. The lobby also had way too much marble and floor to ceiling mirrors.... I don't get it. Anyway, I entered the office of Star Staffing Services and asked for "George Rizzo". When I finally was able to go into his office, I was greeted by a large healthy looking man whose eyes seemed way too dark for the florescent lighting in the office. But once he opened his mouth I could see the charm and lovable nature of the guy. George is one of those gentle giant types.
Anyway, I told him my story and he asked if I owned a tux. Of course I didn't own a tux. At the time it was hard enough to find a button up shirt in my closet (though things have changed since then). George didn't seem surprised, he just handed me a card of some random place in queens and told me not to let the guy charge me more then 100 bucks and that he would hem the legs for me on the spot. Oh, and i forgot to mention that he told me that I would be working my first gig that upcoming weekend a t the New Jersey Preforming Arts Center (NJPAC) which just a short PATH train ride into Newark... For those of you who have never been to Newark its one of those cities where a skinny white kid from Queens feels kind of unwelcome... especially when he is wearing a cheap tux and his hair is slicked back with way too much gel. Anyway, I was fortunate to have gotten the job and for the next two years I catered in the tri-state area. Needless to say my pubescent eyes became exposed to many new and glamorous things. Plus I was eating pretty good food for free, staying out late with a bunch of older people from mostly other countries and I was making 15bucks an hour. After just two weeks I was able to afford bacon egg and cheeses with a coffee for the rest of my high school days. I felt like a king.

Since than I have worked in a few restaurants and have moved up to Binghamton for school. I am finishing my MBA and am currently working at the Lost Dog Cafe. It's a pretty cool spot if you have never been I am sure you will agree. Surely, I will talk about about the Dog (Dawg) some other time. Anyway, prior to going to sleep let me tell you about the best pizza place in Binghamton.

Hailing from the city I would like to boast that I have a slightly refined pizza pallet. Many say NYC pizza and bagels are the best on earth. New Yorkers have their theories on on why the city has become such a carb powerhouse, personally I blame the water or "wadda"(my co-workers constantly bombard my accent). NYC has some of the best water in the States because it comes from some very clean reservoirs in upstate new york. But for some reason upstate pizza is usually terrible and often SQUARE!!! Well its actually rectangle... Anyway it has one too many sides! I don't bother to ask why the pizza is square... sometimes its best not to ask. Pizza Square doesn't roll off your tongue as nicely as pizza pie... The best pizza place in Binghamton can be found at Grande's which is located on the south side of Binghamton. It's 2 minutes away from downtown and maybe 3 from school. There is also an Italian restaurant attached to the pizza shop but it isn't really worth going to. The pizza is really the star at this place. First of all it's round and served in triangular shaped slices! It has a standard sized crust that bubbles up nicely. Beautiful gooey air bubbles form in between the dough and cheese creating a nicely browned top. This pizza actually tastes like NYC pizza! In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the restaurant has tapped into one of those water lines that is headed before the city. Either that or they guys import water from the city... whatever they are doing to their dough they are doing it right. So go support some local Italians and eat some real pizza. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it is cheap $1.50 a slice... you can't beat it.

you can check them out at...
Grande's Bella Cucina
1171 Vestal Avenue
Binghamton, NY 13903-1606



7 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, well we share are love in food, but not in pizza. I agree that Grandes is good, and like New York City pie, although I have had the rectangle variety, along with my egg cream in Queens......I really like Cortese's pizza the best. They make a florentine pie with spinach that has never been duplicated. Thier dough is sweet, and also unique. Alas the pies are square, but stack rather nicely, and being a chef one must consider presentation, along with taste.......This will be fun to follow, as I too fancy myself a food critic......see you at work, Love Chef Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Italian food in binghamton, I have a little something to add. Since I started dating a local girl I've been to nearly every place to eat in the area.(now i'm broke) but anyway there are a number of good italian joints to try. As mentioned Cortese, sauce is great as well as the italian dressing and Tiramasu strong enough to inebriate. Michaelangelo's on the east side is also really good and CHEAP. Very affordable and $2 yueinglieng? pints. Grandes lunch buffet is also worth attending. All the pizza, pasta, garlic knots, salad you can eat. $15 meal for two. Original's in endicott. Really great pizza also, and maybe the best italian subs around. I forget the name but there is another Italian restaurant on Harry L. in the same center that music city used to be in. This again was a nice little restaurant with great homemade sauce and dressings. Worth a try. I would have never known there was so much great italian food in the area, and I'm sure there are plenty more. I heard Nick's in endicott was really good and I'm sure I'll be eating there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry not music city, magic city music hall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place is called Caccaitores........Try Little Venice....thier homemades are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grande's isn't the only good spot on the southside; you should try the Old Market Cafe. It's not a pizza place...but they have the best paninis in town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that I am not a big fan of pizza, so I'll change the topic a bit and speak about having a nice dinner in Binghamton.
    If you are looking for a nice and enjoyable dinner you should go to Kilmer Brasserie. You can have something delicious in a pleasant atmosphere. I really love that place. They have pretty good dishes, pleasant music and good/helpful service. The lounge is comfortable and relaxing, they have separate rooms for groups a decent bar. But I'd recommend to try something from their rich wine collection with your dinner. Nowdays they even have a special day for wine lovers (as far as I remember Thursdays) when you can take your beloved wine for dinner.
    Above all Kilmer is not expansive, especially for a high-end oriented restaurant.
    Yet I should say I like Lost Dog Cafe as well, especially the Greek chicken in there. Honestly sometimes I find it overcrowded and a bit noisy, but overall it is a cozy place with decent cuisine and some lovely stuff :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited Binghamton recently and was pleasantly surprised with the food at Moghul's. The curry was excellent and our waiter was very helpful with his suggestions. I would definitely go back if I am in town again.

    ReplyDelete


Go to top.

Home          Restaurants List          Requests